We are a fast-growing company with a single lofty goal: to bring personal aviation to the general public. Innovating at the leading edge of electric aviation technology, we have developed BlackFly, the world’s first ultralight all-electric fixed-wing VTOL personal aircraft. Join us in ushering in a new age of aviation.
We are seeking a highly-motivated and resourceful Mechanical or Aerospace Engineer with a passion for innovation and technology, who possesses the technical, organizational, and troubleshooting skills to flight-test and maintain our prototype aircraft.
This position involves an initial job rotation in Saskatchewan, Canada for ~8 months, followed by relocation to our Palo Alto, California headquarters in the heart of Silicon Valley.
- Become immersed in the design, operation, and maintenance of our aircraft
- Develop hands-on experience with aircraft subsystems
- Strategize with team to develop test plans and coordinate logistics
- Conduct UAV flight testing with team (some travel may be required)
- Analyze aircraft electronics and other components for operational and reliability issues
- Troubleshoot and perform repairs and upgrades
- Suggest and/or implement design and process improvements
- Compile and document findings
- Keep aircraft fleet flight-ready
- Other engineering duties, as needed
- Undergraduate or graduate degree(s) in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Mechatronics Engineering or a related field
- Spring 2019 graduates also are encouraged to apply
- Strong understanding of Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering fundamentals, especially mechanical design, robotics, mechatronics, dynamics, and control systems
- Proficient with solid-modeling CAD software (preferably CATIA) and 2D documentation
- Demonstrated hands-on experience through student teams, class, co-op, and/or personal projects
- Experience using rigorous scientific methods for testing and troubleshooting
- Comfortable managing and manipulating data and documentation
- Able to write in a clear and concise manner
- Familiarity with electronics, batteries, motors, and sensors used in UAVs
- Interest in RC planes, quadcopters, kit plane construction, and/or composite layup
- Advanced Google Sheet or MS Excel skills
- Thrive in a fast-moving, stimulating, and collaborative team environment
- Resourceful, curious, and never satisfied with the status quo
- Strong work ethic, extremely organized, detail-oriented, and able to multitask
- Always thinking about how to increase efficiency and improve processes
- Proactive about solving problems and suggesting solutions
- Love learning and being challenged
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada and in the United States and willing to relocate to Saskatchewan, Canada. To apply, send your cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include Mechanical Engineer (Flight Testing) starting in Canada and your name in the subject line.