We are a fast-growing company with a single lofty goal: to bring personal aviation to the general public. Innovating at the leading edge of electric aviation technology, we have developed BlackFly, the world’s first ultralight all-electric fixed-wing VTOL personal aircraft. Join us in ushering in a new age of aviation.
We are seeking a motivated individual to take on the role of battery specialist within our Electrical Engineering group.
- Develop an offline state-space lithium-based battery estimation model such as in Matlab/Simulink.
- Devise and carry out lab experiments to test, tune and refine the model under the full range of operating temperatures, currents, depth of discharge, and cycle count.
- Implement the model on an embedded MCU which accurately estimates SOC, SOE, and SOP in real-time over the full range of operating conditions for the service life of the battery.
- Develop a battery characterization test to QC incoming batteries and test new samples.
- Develop methods to perform a rapid pre-flight check of battery metrics.
- Define safe operational minimums and maximums for the battery based on experimental results.
- Depending on experience, assist with charger development and take ownership of BMS.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Proficient at writing firmware (C/C++) for MCUs in embedded systems.
- Experience with extended Kalman filter algorithms.
- Familiarity with battery rapid-test methods such as dynamic response, impedance spectroscopy.
- Hands-on electronics experience through student teams, co-op, and/or personal projects
- Circuit design, PCB layout, power electronics, SPI, UART, CAN.
- Matlab/Simulink and Python experience.
- Interest in RC planes, quadcopters, or aviation.
- Hard-working, detail-oriented, resourceful, curious and enjoys being challenged
- Always thinking about how to make things more efficient
- Thrive in a fast-moving, stimulating, and supportive team environment
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States and willing to relocate to Palo Alto, CA. To apply, send your cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcripts to email@example.com. Be sure to include Electrical Engineer (Battery Specialist) and your name in the subject line.